Skip to main content

Nintendo: Hey, listen!

This is a plea for Nintendo, I hope that somebody there will read it.

A few days ago you announced the next "Mini" console in your attempt to make even more money of some 25+ year old games, released for the hundredth time. Please. Stop. Or at the very least change your business practices.

I hope that I speak for a majority in the gaming community, when I say that we've just about had enough of yet another Nintendo console (or accessory...) which won't be available at launch because you simply can't (or won't?) make enough. We've had enough of the scalpers who pre-order all stock before we even get a chance to look the device up. Enough of the scalpers who then continue to sell those consoles on eBay for double or triple the price. Isn't it bad for your business?

Let's talk about a hypothetical scenario: you could sell 1 million of the SNES Mini. But you produce only 500k. That makes 500k of your potential fans/customers angry, because they can't even pre-order it. BUT! Many of the first 500k will be scalpers who bought your stock only to resell it at a higher price. I know, you get your money, but you hurt your own fans. You alienate them and make them hate you. Wouldn't it be better for you to meet demand right from the start? You'd win more fans. You could make more money. I simply don't get it why this consoles are made so limited on purpose.

And it's not only the SNES Mini and the NES Mini. Your other products like the Amiibos and the Switch ended up just the same.

Now this is unconfirmed information which I picked up from a forum, so I apologize if any of the following turns out to be "fake news": Game UK put up the SNES Mini for pre-order yesterday. It was sold out within 45 Minutes! Amazon UK was similar: all pre-orders were gone within the hour. Amazon Germany was even worse: you couldn't find the SNES Mini through the search, but if you had the direct link to the product you could already preorder before the preorders went live. Completely sold out, too. Do you see a pattern here? I'm betting that at least half of these pre-orders will end up on eBay the day people get their packages.


I honestly hope that you'll see the error of your ways and live up to the hype next time (maybe with an "N64 Mini"?) and produce enough for everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making a game for the PlayStation 2

Actually, not really for the PS2 - not natively at least. Rather making a game for YaBasic which can be played on the PS2. I started my geek life when I was 11 years old and got my first computer (486). A few years later I found some games written in QBasic on a gaming magazine's CD. That was the first time I came in contact with programming. I didn't understand much back then, because I wasn't taught before and I didn't speak any English (it's my 3rd language...) so I was just trying to figure out how the games worked by modifying stuff. These games were simple text adventures, where you had to make choices and the game would progress that way. There were no commands like "go left" or "pick up". The game presented you all the options and you had to input the number of the option you chose. And instead of "if-else" there were GOTOs everywhere. This was how I made my first game, a multiple-choice quiz with 10 questions. Since I didn

Building my own arcade cabinet - a photo diary

This has been in the making for 1.5 years and I'm thrilled to share it with you. But instead of writing a long post with boring details, I'll just add short comments to the pictures. Enjoy! The beginning: RasPi3 and RetroPie started for the first time. Buttons & joystick from AliExpress for $20. Neat! Testing the buttons. The first box. Version 2 of the box, much cleaner. Should be something like this, when it's finished Temporary solution: ATX power supply from an old PC. The amplifier arrived, too! Learning to solder: if your tip looks like this, you're doing something wrong. Visual concept number two: controller and speaker box. The messy insides of the controller box. A friend helped me out cutting the wood for the final controller box. That's not the final box, just another test run. This is more like it. Made from an old office desk. Button layout on paper...

RE: "Hacking" the PS2 - Game development

Happy 2019 everbody! This is a follow-up to my previous post:  "Hacking" the PS2 This whole thing started basically when I discovered that there is a possibility to write your own programs for the PS2. I didn't have a PS2 back in the day (I started collecting consoles around 2011) so I just found out recently. Finding out how YaBasic worked and "reverse engineering" the checksum in the source code proved to be so entertaining that I basically lost interest in making a game after that. During the holidays I had a lot of time and to make something productive I decided to take it up again and this time actually make a game. I also wanted to "streamline" the development process by not having to use 3 different programs and 2 OS's to test every change in the code I make. My old process was: write the code in Vim run the Bash script (from the previous post) to add the checksum use PS2 Save Builder to make a save file use mymc to a